[Bio-linux-list] The reports of Bio-Linux's death are greatly exaggerated

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 07:35:50 EST 2017

Hi,

[apologies to Mark Twain]

I've seen a comments on SeqAnswers that Bio-Linux is 'dead' and people
are concerned that Bio-Linux is no longer being maintained because the
lead developer Tim Booth has now left the Bio-Linux project for a new job.

Let me assure you that Bio-Linux is not dead, the PPA's are working and
so are the mailing lists, like this one. It's a testament to the great
work that Tim did that we can still keep our Bio-Linux 8 systems
up-to-date simply using:

  apt update
  apt full-upgrade

Bear in mind that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will be supported until April 2019:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Please spread the word that we are seeking funding to develop Bio-Linux
9 based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and post your experiences of upgrading
Bio-Linux 8 to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS here so we can make a community effort
to fix the problems.

Bio-Linux is supported by its user community but it also depends on
contributions from the Debian-Med team, who are making their
bioinformatics packages available to Ubuntu users before they are
available via the Debian repositories.

Thanks,

  Tony.

tel. +44(0)19755 63548 http://minke-informatics.co.uk