[Bio-linux-list] The reports of Bio-Linux's death are greatly exaggerated

Enrique Ortega 3nrique.0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 05:03:39 EST 2017

Hello all,

I do agree with Raony in maybe skyping 16.04 and going straight for 18.04
LTS. Mate is a very good option, It's compatible with X2Go (as well as this
other window managers
<https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/x2go-server-ubuntu-14-04/#desktop-bindings>)
so for learning purposes it's makes biologists more comfortable than a
terminal through ssh.

It's true that through Patreon the project can be financed, even partially.

I hadn't heard about DebianMed, it looks amazing. The only downside I see
is that a boot key on debian doesn't allow to have a persistent space for
the user (updating/installing packages, adding/modifying files). I'm a
group person, so i'll go with the choice of the group.

In my previous position the SysAdmin used modules
<http://modules.sourceforge.net/> to keep a tidy $PATH and a responsive
terminal. It allows also to install different versions of softwares (like
compilers or java versions required to use a software).

I'm very optimistic in the future of bio-linux (of debianMed). It's an
amazing time saving tool when you need to deploy tools and are too noob
(like me) or too busy to install and configure each tool one by one. And
the tutorials included are great !

Best Regards
Enrique

>>> mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk