[Bio-linux-list] Bio-Linux MATE desktop

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Mon May 1 18:19:31 EDT 2017

Hi,

I realise that some of us, myself included, like using the Ubuntu Unity
desktop in Bio-Linux. In my case, this is mainly because it allows me to
see a clear distinction between my local Unity desktop and a remote MATE
desktop. Although I do like the MATE desktop, it's confusing when my
local and remote desktops are the same. This is not an issue for people
who use Windows or Mac versions of the "x2go" client because these
desktops are very different to the remote MATE desktop.

I've been evaluating Ubuntu-MATE 17.04 as the basis of a Bio-Linux
9-alpha version, with a view to using Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS as the base
distro for Bio-Linux 9. As part of my evaluation, I've created a MATE
panel layout called "harmony" that resembles the layout I use in Unity:

> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y7spumkm4clctw6/AADu81HA5rjA8o8qQednHDAga?dl=0

If you're trying out Ubuntu-MATE 17.04, copy the .panel and .layout
files into: /usr/share/mate-panel/layouts and use the MATE-tweak tool to
select "harmony-tweak" to configure the "harmony" layout.

Let me know what you think?

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk