[Bioclusters] Dual Athlons

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:53:23 -0400

VA Linux got out of the hardware business before I could get my hands on
their product so I have no personal experience.

The one warning that I did get from the VA engineers was that these Athalon
systems suck power and kick out lots of heat. I think they mentioned that
their 1U dual-Athalon system required something like a 550-watt powersupply.

My word of caution would be to double check your environmental calculations
(power needed  + tons of air conditioning needed etc. etc.) at the same
time you consider any performance gains from the hardware.

I'd be interested in benchmarks and user impressions of course!