[Bioclusters] Call for information.

William Park bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:56:21 -0400

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 05:15:38PM +1200, Paul Gardner wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have to give a talk on thurs 12pm (NZST) that justifies the expense of
> purchasing 128 PentiumIVs for a BioCluster at our weekly Research Group
> meeting.
>
> I already know a bit about using the MPI compiler and PBS queuing system.
> What I'm really interested in is the solutions BioClusters are currently
> being used for. Any URLs, papers, and/or suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

Shouldn't you be buying the computers for the actual problem at hand?  Not
buy the computers first, and then look for problems to solve.  If you got
$256,000 budget, then consider buying 1 dual-AthlonMP 2000+ with 1Gig RAM
first, and see how you like it?

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
8 CPU cluster, NAS, (Slackware) Linux, Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Tin