[Bioclusters] Call for information.

Josh Goodman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:20:41 -0400

>If you got $256,000 budget, then consider buying 1 dual->AthlonMP 2000+ with 1Gig RAM first, and see how you like >it?

The only problem I have with Athlon chips is that they run quite a bit hotter than the Pentiums.  A group in my company built a 100 CPU linux cluster with Athlons and overloaded the cooling capacity of the room because their estimate did not cover how much hotter the chips run compared to Pentium.  Other than that they run great.  As you probably know you should always evaluate cooling when buying a cluster but pay paticular attention if buying AMD.

Josh