[Bioclusters] Call for information.

William Park bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:36:15 -0400

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 02:13:14AM +1200, Paul Gardner wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> I already have several problems that I could extend beyond our current
> computing solution (16 node Beowulf: sisters.massey.ac.nz). The problem is
> convincing a few senior scientists (hope that answers your question Chris,
> thanks heaps) who've recently received a large government grant that
> spending a bit of money upgrading our current system is worth while.
> Basically I want my Biologists friends to know that they'll also benefit
> from the power of a cluster.
>
> I agree that Athlons are probably a better way to go, but frustratingly
> there are some other issues that have made us consider PentiumIVs as a
> better solution.

Well, what do they want?  More nodes for current clusters, or new computers
on their desks?

Cluster is not all that's cracked up to be.  After spending all that money
building dual-P3 cluster a year ago, I'm a bit pissed to find that current
1 dual-MP will practically replace it.  Your situation is probably the
same.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
8 CPU cluster, NAS, (Slackware) Linux, Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Tin