[Bioclusters] Call for information.

William Park bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 01:02:01 -0400

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 12:26:55AM -0400, Ivo Grosse wrote:
> 1.1 GHz dual-Tualatins (with SDRAM) were slightly faster than 1.2 GHz
> dual-Athlon-MPs (with DDR RAM) were slightly faster than dual-P4-xeons
> (with RDRAM at that time) ... perhaps because of the following reason:
> Tualatins/Athlons/P4-xeons have (or had) 512/384/256 kB L2 cache, and
> apparently cache size is (or was) crucial for Blast.

Hmm... if that's the case, how would you rate quad-P3Xeon (1MB and 2MB

The reason is that I always prefer SMP over cluster, simply for less
component counts, less maintenance, better IO design, etc.  Quad
motherboards are available from Supermicro, and P3 Xeon are relatively
cheap now.

William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
8 CPU cluster, NAS, (Slackware) Linux, Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Tin