[Bioclusters] Call for information.

William Park bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 01:02:01 -0400

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 12:26:55AM -0400, Ivo Grosse wrote:
> 1.1 GHz dual-Tualatins (with SDRAM) were slightly faster than 1.2 GHz
> dual-Athlon-MPs (with DDR RAM) were slightly faster than dual-P4-xeons
> (with RDRAM at that time) ... perhaps because of the following reason:
> Tualatins/Athlons/P4-xeons have (or had) 512/384/256 kB L2 cache, and
> apparently cache size is (or was) crucial for Blast.

Hmm... if that's the case, how would you rate quad-P3Xeon (1MB and 2MB
cache)?

The reason is that I always prefer SMP over cluster, simply for less
component counts, less maintenance, better IO design, etc.  Quad
motherboards are available from Supermicro, and P3 Xeon are relatively
cheap now.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
8 CPU cluster, NAS, (Slackware) Linux, Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Tin