[Bioclusters] Re: file server for cluster

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
23 Apr 2002 15:27:50 -0400

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 13:53, Ivo Grosse wrote:

> Yes, and the web page I quoted uses Mb/s consistently.  Do you think
> it's a typo?

Possibly... if you think about it, 470 Mb/s would be on the order of 50
MB/s, which is nothing terribly impressive.  So I suspect typos here (I
have seen this  in the past as one of the most common typos out there :(
).
> > It is going to be bandwidth limited by the number of PCI busses, the
> > arrangement of IO, etc.  The specs say 3 PCI slots, but if they are on a
> > single PCI bus, you will be able to swamp the PCI with either 1 Ultra160
> > (for PCI-33), or 1 Ultra160+1 GigE card, or 2 Ultra160s.
>
> Could you explain that (to a dummy)?

Or a smarty? :)

> 66 MHz x 64 bit = 4 Gb/s.

 ~= 4.2 Gb/s for PCI 64 bit 66 MHz.  For the 33 MHz variety you would
get:

32 bit: 1.05 Gb/s
64 bit:	2.1 Gb/s

Each Ultra160 can consume 160 MB/s -> 1.3 Gb/s

Each GigE card can consume 1.0 Gb/s.

You generally cannot run the PCI at full throttle, you start getting
contention, locking, or collision nightmares.  Call it anywhere between
60-80% of the bandwidth available depending upon chipset, cards,
drivers/implementation of drivers, and service request patterns.  To be
reasonable, assume that 70% of BW is available.

0.7 * 4.2 Gb/s ~ 2.9 Gb/s realizable on one PCI-66.

Now, lets look at the combos (call this I/O accounting 101 :) ):
					BW (Gb/s)
Bus		combo			committed	free
PCI-33		Ultra160		1.3		-0.25
PCI-33		GigE			1.0		0.05
PCI-66/64	Ultra160		1.3		1.6
PCI-66/64	Ultra160+GigE		2.3		0.6
PCI-66/64	2xUltra160		2.6		0.3
PCI-66/64	2xUltra160+GigE		3.6		-0.5

Negative bandwidth is not really well defined.  It is better to call the
excess available BW 0, and talk about bus contention.  Bus contention is
a throughput killer.

Assume each card comes with a budget, an allocation of IO bandwidth.  So
a 160 MB/s card means you can theoretically fill up at most 160 MB/s of
bus bandwidth before the contention issue kicks in.  So if you have
disks which talk at 40 MB/s, you need 160/40 or 4 disks to completely
fill this bus.  Of course, the problem is that you really dont have 160
MB/s (protocol and signalling overhead), so you need to make allowances
for this.

> Note the "small" b.  :-)
>
> Of course 4 Gb/s is purely theoretical.  What is the overhead?  20%?
> 50%?

See above.  It depends actually upon the nature of your transactions to
a degree.  Large sequential transactions have lower overhead in toto
than the equivalent payload among many small transactions.

> Even if it were 50%, that would leave 2 Gb/s?  How can that be
> saturated with 2 Ultra160s?  What is the w/r flux of one Ultra160?

See above.

This is why you need multiple PCI busses.