[Bioclusters] Parallel blast

Kristian Vlahovicek bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:01:38 +0200

Wim et al,

I'm just completing an alpha release of MPIsed blast. The functionality is
at the moment limited to protein sequences, but not for long :)
It was primarily designed for a specific task of all vs. all comparison +
clustering and was in use like that for about a year, now I'm generalizing
the code a bit.

it:
interfaces to the SQL database (MySQL) and can directly store results into
it
can output results in a text file - one line per HSP, comma separated
fields.
can operate on fasta files, formatting them on the fly (each is then stored
locally on the worknode).
can filter results based on HSP length coverage (% of HSP len/ total subject
or query len) and score

Here are the benchmarks, on single processor Athlon 1.3G machines. A subset
of swissprot (2000 sequences) was run against the entire database (~86000
entries). the number of HSPs is the total number of results from running
2000 seqs vs swissprot. There is no limit on the number of HSPs per query
run (ususlly 200 with blast). E cutoff was 10.

A) SWISSPROT 86593 sequences, SQL database single table
196963 HSPs (2000 queries) in
	5nodes:  7m21 -> 272 queries/min -> 4.5 queries/s
	10nodes: 3m51s -> 520 queries/min -> 8.6 queries/s
	15nodes: 2m39s -> 750 queries/min -> 12.5 queries/s

B) SWISSPROT 86593 sequences, 10 worker nodes, text output
196963 HSPs (2000 queries) in
	5nodes:  7m22s -> 271 queries/min -> 4.52 queries/s
	10nodes: 3m45s -> 533 queries/min -> 8.8 queries/s
	15nodes: 2m37s -> 765 queries/min -> 12.7 queries/s

anyone interested in beta (alpha, that is :) testing can drop me an email...

Kris