[Bioclusters] Jumbo frames with 100 Mb?

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
02 May 2002 15:07:36 -0400

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 13:50, Vsevolod Ilyushchenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sanity check:
>
> Am I correct that enabling jumbo frames on a Gb card makes sense only if
> there is another Gb card on the other end?

Yes.  The packets will be fragmented up to the maximum size (the MTU).
For standard 10/100 ethernet, this is 1500 bytes.  Jumbo frames are much
larger.

> That is, if the master has the
> GigE card, but all the slaves have only 100 Mb cards, jumbo frames will not
> help or even screw everything up, right?

I believe there is an initial negotiation phase during connection with
the hardware (card <-> switch ) that builds a greatest common feature
set, so if you plug in a jumbo frames capable GigE card into a 10/100,
it will negotiate down to the best effort of the slower interconnect
(and no-jumbo frames would be supported).

> Also, do I have to do anyting to the switch to enable jumbo frame support?

You need to check the switch specs for it.  There are a fair number of
cards out there advertised as GigE cards, but without Jumbo frames
support.  I wouldnt be suprised if the switchs have the same gotchas.