[Bioclusters] recompiling redhat source rpms from .spec files

Goran Ceric bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 8 May 2002 22:17:00 -0500 (CDT)

>> I also had to recompile perl to include large files
>> support. I remember having some trouble with Reiserfs over NFS and
>> large files on Redhat's 2.4.9-10 kernel. Hope this helps a little.
>
> NFS v2 only supports 32 bit file offsets in the protocol, and I
> wouldn't count on more than 31 bits.  NFS v3 does have 64 bit offset
> support.

Actually, it was just this updated 2.4.9-21smp (not 2.4.9-10) kernel that
RedHat released to replace 2.4.7-10smp (the problem wasn't present in the
original kernel) that I had trouble with and only with Reiserfs over NFS,
not ext3 (both client and server using v3). Actually, I pretty much had all
kinds of problems with every kernel < 2.4.17.

Goran Ceric
System Administrator
Washington University, St. Louis
Department of Genetics, Eddy Lab