[Bioclusters] Apple/Genentech's new version of Blast

Elia Stupka bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:05:59 +0800 (SGT)

> My understanding is that the Altivec optimzations arise from using
> pre-fetching instructions, so the improvement will only be seen on really
> insensitive searches.

I'll get back with some real data, but we've had very good results and
were never running insensitive searches, all cross-species. Come to think
of it I think what I was impressed by was how good blast on Xserve did in
general, not so much the optimized version.

By the way, just to keep opinions sane, please note I am talking Xserve,
not PowerMac, and there is quite a substantial difference in performance
despite using same processor and same memory.

Elia

* http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *
* tel:    +65 6874 1467        *
* mobile: +65 9030 7613        *