[Bioclusters] Apple/Genentech Blast implementation - what licence terms?

David Huen bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:52:49 +0000

I apologise for mailing this query here - it appears that this subject is=
=20
either discussed on mac advocacy groups (purely as a benchmark) or here=20
only.  Experience has taught me to avoid the former assiduously.

I have been unable to determine what precisely the licence conditions the=
re=20
may be on the Apple/Genentech code.  I know the original NCBI code is=20
unencumbered but there is nothing in the sources of the modified version=20
that clearly indicates whether I am entitled to change their source and=20
distribute the changes.  Their site=20
(http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/math_science/applegenentechblast.h=
tml)=20
states the licence is "freeware" but i don't know whether they mean the=20
beer or speech sense of it.  I plan to make some changes that I would lik=
e=20
to distribute later.

Does anyone here have the links with Apple or Genentech to establish what=
 we=20
may do with the code?

My apologies again if this is the wrong place to ask.

Regards,
David Huen, Dept. of Genetics, Univ. of Cambridge