[Bioclusters] fortran 9x compilers for linux clusters

Kenneth Geisshirt bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:44:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, andy law (RI) wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience they'd like to share on the topic of
> Fortran 9x compilers for linux systems?

Recently I installed Intel's C/C++ and Fortran compilers [1] on my laptop
(mobile PIII) and my sandbox cluster (4x dual Itanium) [2], and I am very
impressed by the quality of the code generated by the compilers.

I gain about 8-10 % over g77 on some of my old MD code, and a friend of
mine gained about 20 % (he's not hand optimizing his code).

I also tried the autoparallellization and on a dual Itanium I got a speed
up around 1.6.

[1] When used for research, the compilers are free of charge for Linux
    users. Windows users have to pay - nice move, Intel!
[2] Well, it's actually my employer's cluster.

Kneth

--
Kenneth Geisshirt, M.Sc., Ph.D.         http://kenneth.geisshirt.dk
Grøndals Parkvej 2A, 3. sal                    kenneth@geisshirt.dk