[Bioclusters] Workstation Selection for Bioinformatics Research

Stephen Wicks bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:20:14 -0400

--Apple-Mail-4-824654279

Hi Chip,

Whenever I see someone considering a Linux/Windows dual boot setup for
a single job in biology, I recommend that they consider a Macintosh.
OSX will give you fully supported access to all of the command line or
X11 apps that you will need (including in your case RasMol, Povray,
Molscript, raster3d etc.), and still let your users use
Office/Photoshop etc. at the same time on the same machine and same OS.
Networking and interoperability these days is a non-issue. The only
caveat right now might be that the G4 towers are fast, but not as fast
as the top end Intel-based solution.

You wanted options...

Stephen

Dr. Stephen Wicks,
Assistant Professor, Biology.
Boston College.
140 Commonwealth Ave.,
Chestnut Hill, MA. 02467.

Phone: 617 552 6851 (office)
Fax: 617 552 2011
Office: Rm 468 Higgins Hall
e-mail: swicks@bc.edu

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 12:39 PM, Chip Coward wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>     I am a researcher in bioinformatics at Drexel University and we are
> setting up a computational lab for research and teaching in
> Computational
> Systems Biology/Bioinformatics. We are looking for workstations for
> our lab
> using existing software tools or developing new tools to perform
> molecular
> modeling/visualization (e.g. RasMol/Protein Explorer), searching the
> genome,
> stochastic modelling/cellular automata, ect. We are considering both
> SUN
> workstations and Dell workstations (Precision 450/Precision 650)
> although we
> would be open to consider other platforms if there are compelling
> reasons. I
> am writing to get input/information that will help us make a decision
> on
> platform selection. I am leaning toward selecting the Dell Workstation
> due
> to the theme that prevades these email lists about use of Linux which
> seems
> to be the way the bioinformatics community is heading. If we purchased
> the
> Dell system I would configure it to support both Windows and Linux
> under the
> assumption that by supporting both operating systems, we would have
> more
> options/flexibility for tool selection.
>
>    I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions that would help in our
> platform selection.
>
>    Thanks.
>
>          Chip Coward

--Apple-Mail-4-824654279

[...]