[Bioclusters] Linux cluster set up document

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
28 Apr 2003 11:51:04 -0400

Hi Miroslava:

  Are you planning on reloading the windows machines with linux, or
using them as windows machines hooked into a linux server?

  If you are planning on doing a reload of the systems, I would suggest
looking into the types of runs you plan on doing, and use that to guide
your choice of application software.  For the OS, I would suggest using
one of the cluster distributions that strive to make the installation
and maintenance easier.  If you are not planning on reloading the
windows machines with Linux, you may have to set up a queuing system
which takes into account the windows nature of the compute nodes.  This
is not very easy.  There aren't many windows clusters out there (a few
notable ones are at Cornell and NCSA).

  The cluster distributions you might wish to look at are OSCAR, ROCKS,
and Scyld.  There is supposed to be one from MandrakeSoft which I have
not looked at yet (Clic).  You can always "roll your own" but that is
usually not the best idea for those new to the process.

	OSCAR http://oscar.sourceforge.net/
	ROCKS http://www.rocksclusters.org
	Scyld http://scyld.com

Joe