[Bioclusters] GRIDEngine set up

andy law (RI) bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:34:32 -0000

Having beaten our heads against OpenPBS documentation for a couple of months (with litle success), we are now trying having a bash at setting up GRIDEngine on our test cluster. Whilst the installation document seems concise and to the point, we are wondering about one thing and that is the *requirement* for shared disk-space across the nodes. In my mind that seems contrary to the use of GRIDEngine as a system to farm tasks across arbitrary idle PCs/Workstations. In some places, the documentation seems to suggest that it is a recommendation, rather than a requirement, but makes no suggestion as to how to configure any alternative arrangment.

It is entirely possible that I am missing something obvious, as this message is the result of a 'chinese whisper' from my RA who is actually punching the keys, but if anyone out there is prepared to pitch in with their observations, I'll be very grateful.

Yada, yada, yada...

The information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee only.   The opinions expressed within this e-mail (including any attachments) are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of Roslin Institute (Edinburgh) ("the Institute") unless specifically stated by a sender who is duly authorised to do so on behalf of the Institute.