[Bioclusters] distributed blasting of genomes and WASHU blast

Tim Harsch bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:43:03 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Landman" <landman@scalableinformatics.com>
To: <bioclusters@bioinformatics.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Bioclusters] distributed blasting of genomes and WASHU blast

> Tim:
>

>   1)  see http://blast.wustl.edu/blast/README.html#Tofly and look for
> hspmax= (among others)
Thanks!

>   2)  Is your database an assembled genome?  E.g.  1 sequence/chromosome
Yep.  About 5 Mb.
> or similar sized entity?  If so, you might look at splitting the
> database into smaller sequences by low complexity, or various length
> overlapping segments.  It depends upon what information you are trying
> to get at.

I never thought of low complexity.  I've repeat masked the sequence and
could split it on some repeat regions.  I guess it's obvious I am a
bioinformaticist coming from a CS background, and lack the bio
understanding.  My question is:  Even a valid hit can have some repeat in
it, so wouldn't I still have the same problem?  Like in this case, there are
certain very long regions that are masked out so I feel comfortable that no
hit would encompass the region and thus make it a bad place to split on.
However, I'm after a generalized solution that doesn't require special
knowledge of the sequences.  Do you think the method I outlined below would
work?