[Bioclusters] Which gigabit card?

bioclusters@bioinformatics.org bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:13:39 -0400

Apologies upfront for the vague respose., but it may be a start.

I was looking for the same thing about 6 months until I came accross a
great web site that had benchmarked a stack of different GIGE cards:
Syskonnect, 3Com the lot. (all I can remember of the site was that it was
done at a US University. If I find the site again I'll post it).

Syskonnect got top marks-but very expensive ($500)

Best price/performance was the 3Com 3C996B-T ($100).

I replaced all the myrinet with the 3Com's and they've been excellent.
Instantly recognized under redhat 7.3, and driver upgrades were a breeze.

Steve

The upshot was: syskonect

Malay Kumar Basu <curiouser@ccmb.res.in>
Sent by: bioclusters-admin@bioinformatics.org
07/24/2003 11:41 AM
Please respond to
bioclusters@bioinformatics.org

bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
cc

Subject
[Bioclusters] Which gigabit card?

Hello Cluster gurus:

I have almost finalized buying of hardware for my cluster except the
gigabit ethernet card. I want to install Redhat 8/9 for my cluster.
Which gigabit network card should I go for. Can anyone recommend a
particular card, which should install hassle free.

-Malay