[Bioclusters] what motherboards are people using for dualAthlon boxes?

ben bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 23:40:45 +0100

Joseph Landman wrote:

> Possibly on an SMP, and that would be nice to see on this platform.
> Unlikely on HT.  For BLAST however, the Athlon does nicely, and the -j 2
> switch gives you 50-90% additional performance (search and algorithm
> dependent) from what I have tried myself on non-pathological cases.

Hi ,
I ' m afraid I didn' t understand .... is -j 2 parameter the one to make
blast aware of the dual smp aystem ? I' m using ncbi blast on a 2-P3 and I
thought it was -a 2 .. I' m asking because , after few testing with yeast db
I don' t see a big difference in running blast with 1 or 2 cpu ; maybe I set
the wrong parameter ? Shoud I also tell that I' m  using
blast with > 1 processor with some configs during the compilation ...
I think I didn't see anything about this
thanks in advance
greeting
ben