blade servers (was Re: [Bioclusters] Any experiences with these guys? reeks)

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:25:45 -0500

Rackable denies sending the astroturf message and points to big sales
numbers (and order backlog) as reasons why even aggressive salespeople
would not be out trying to drum up more business. I've been 'joe jobbed'
by spammers using one of my domain names to forge email so I am open to
the possibility that some other sneaky stuff may be going on by people
who are not part of Rackable. Interesting stuff but not on-topic for
this list :)

Ok back on topic..

You bring up an interesting point about blades that I'd love to get some
discussion going.

My take is this:

(1) The real value for blade servers is mostly in the management,
monitoring and provisioning software that you get with the blade
platform. When done right it is the software that delivers the actual
savings in terms of operational burden and that is what really tips the
scales over in favor of paying extra $$ for blades.

(2) Of the blade platforms that I've looked at I found that I only
really enjoyed working with the IBM Bladecenter and RLX product
offerings. Both had excellent software tools IMHO.

What do others think? Is the management and provisioning software just
as important as the form factor and wiring density savings?

-Chris