blade servers (was Re: [Bioclusters] Any experiences with these guys? reeks)

Goran Ceric bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:07:26 -0600

We've had a rack full of IBM blades for 3-4 months now, and I am really
impressed. Management module has very nice administration and monitoring
capabilities including console redirection, environment monitoring, and
collecting data from individual management processors. Blade centers
also come with a copy of IBM Director 4 which I think is a great piece
of software. We didn't get their deployment software since I didn't want
to pay for it. Systemimager still works well enough for me. Cabling is
extremely neat since blade centers have built-in gigabit ethernet
switches, built-in power supplies etc. 14 blades in a single 7U blade
center are networked internally, and there are 4 external ports in each
switch.  Also, instead of 84 power cables, there are only 24 in a whole
rack, and half of these are from redundant power supplies. Considering
that you get all this redundancy and gigabit switches included, plus
avoid the cabling nightmare, and get a system that is extremely easy to
manage, I don't think IBM blades cost much more (with our pricing) than
a comparable setup with standard 1U machines from a major hardware
vendor. Another neat thing is when IBM comes out with Power blades
eventually (or possibly Opteron and/or Itanium), they will plug in the
same chassis as P4 blades (probably with different power supplies
though). So, to answer your question, yes, I believe it's worth paying a
little premium for them.

Goran