[Bioclusters] openpbs / pbspro feature question

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:33:26 -0500

"why bother?" doesn't cut it for me :) as I need to explain to people
who ask how to chose the best distributed resource management system
(DRM) for their cluster or compute farm. They ask because I keep telling
people that it is one of the most important decisions they make when
sourcing or deploying a cluster. Bad things happen if you make the wrong
choice. heh.

I keep a mental and written roadmap of the current strengths and
weaknesses of LSF/PBS/SGE as used in life science environments. My
knowledge of both Grid Engine and LSF is up-to-date but I wanted to make
sure that I was still accurate about the current state of PBS since I
don't use it or recommend it anymore.

Like you (and Chris) hit upon, the lack of array job functionality
within PBS is one of the key things that can affect a selection
decision. That and reliability plus day to day administrative overhead
costs.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Independent life science IT & informatics consulting