[Bioclusters] Operating system choice.

Matt Temple bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:38:57 -0500

> a) The OS needs to be compatible with Platform LSF and Veritas NetBackup client.
>
> b) I need proper arguments to demonstrate to Upper Management why we should NOT use Red Hat.
I am a RedHat user for many reasons that are irrelevent to you!   But,
I'm guessing that this will change in the near future (for us).  First,
you do have an option in Fedora if you so choose.   It supports YUM and
APT-RPM in ways that are claimed to work well.   I cannot speak to that
and I'd say that before having an opinion, it would be good to evaluate
this release.  Complications of getting all the right packages assembled
is the most common complaint people seem to have about the RedHat way.

That being said, even though I'm no Debian evangelist (ok, I'm no
evangelist of any kind, except maybe open source, when possible) doesn't
Upper Management have an obligation to demonstrate why Debian is a BAD
choice?

FWIW, I'll speak to the backup issue.   We don't run Veritas, we run
Legato Networker.   Networker doesn't officially support Debian... but
using alien to convert the RPM and making a few changes in the init
script, we've run Networker clients on Debian machines without a hiccup.
In fact, they've run on a Reiser file system which is not officially
supported, either.   I'm not pitching Networker here -- I'm just
pitching what I think is the likelihood thatVeritas will work, too.

For the rest, how very different is this model from Oscar?  Rocks?
(I'm not intimate with the details, there.)