[Bioclusters] requesting help for computational server setup (PE 4600)

Aaron Darling bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:57:37 -0500 (CDT)

I would suggest taking your disks out of RAID 0.  See:
http://www.storagereview.com/php/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=SingleDriveVsRaid0

The other FAQs at storage review may be worth your time as well.
To summarize:  RAID 0 has decreased reliability over a single drive.
Despite having increased sequential transfer rates, non-sequential access
patterns (e.g. server/multi-user usage) are better for data distributed
across two independent drives than with RAID 0 in general.  If you insist
on RAID, you should sacrifice capacity and do RAID 1, buying you increased
reliability, better seek times than RAID 0, and equivalent transfer rates
to RAID 0 (assuming you've got a decent controller).

-Aaron