[Bioclusters] requesting help for computational server setup

karthik viswanathan bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:41:12 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Joe:

Thanks for ur reply.

" T Get 3 newhe performance ..."
this is a typo error, sorry about that. I am surprised how this got appended! it
should have been
"The performance is not satisfactory ..."

The programs the client run mostly are

1. LUCY  (http://www.tigr.org/software/)
2. GENESEQER  (http://bioinformatics.iastate.edu/bioinformatics2go/gs/help.html)

I had ran hdparm

# /sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/sda2

 /dev/sda2:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.25  seconds =512.00 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.75 seconds = 36.57 MB/sec

This output i have run two days back. I have installed bonnie++, but a client is
running a program for the past two days so i couldnt run bonnie++ since i fear
the output wont be correct.

We dont have a software raid, but we have hardware raid. I am not sure about the
chunk size though. Will i be able to see this while system reboot or can i check
on linux ?

Yes we are running NFS. The network speed is 100Mbs but the usage of the file
system is not often since the no of clients is 4.

Aaron:

 There are two hard SCSI hard disks of 146 GB each set on a RAID 0

Thanks
Karthik

Hi Karthik:

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 15:04, karthik viswanathan wrote:
> We have a PowerEdge 4600 server running RedHat 9. The system spec is given
> below.
> [...]
>
> The main usage of this server is for bioinformatics computational work.
Clients