[Bioclusters] Debian cluster

Matthew Laird bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:28:57 -0700 (PDT)

The one comment I would like to offer is out of courtesy to the Debian
community I hope you will have a local mirror or the package archive or
subset you are using.

On my personal machines I'm a Debian boy all the way just for the apt-get
reason.  But if you're planning to build a 50+ machine cluster using
Debian then run an apt-get upgrade on all of them when a patch comes
out... that could add noticable strain to the mirrors over time as well as
your institution's connection.

I know on campus we have a Redhat mirror just for on campus use.  I also
have scripts to keep the subset I use on our cluster current and the
machines patched.

This is definitely an avenue you might want to investgate for the courtesy
reason plus it's just faster to install from a local mirror.

Another advantage I've learned about having a local mirror, especially
with Debian, is you can freeze the packages at any point you want so you
can always recreate the exact same configuration with no risk of package
upgrades conflicting with something.  That is one beef I had with Debian a
few years ago, mysterious package upgrades that sometimes broke other
packages, but I guess that's what you get when using the unstable release.
:)

Anyhow, just wanted to pass along those lessons I've learned.  Good luck,
and let me know how Debian works out as the basis for a cluster.  I might
rebuild mine from RH9 to Debian if you have great successes. :)