[Bioclusters] SGE Qmon on X Server

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:04:28 -0400

Hi Lorne,

I (finally) was able to build the latest CVS version of SGE-6.0beta2 on
my OS X 10.3.3 powerbook this weekend. The X11 GUI works great.

Now that I have a working process I'll see if I can build the latest
Grid Engine 5.3 from source as well.

The problem with the 5.3/6.0beta Apple binaries on the grid engine
website may have to do with the fact that their darwin build server is
running Mac OS X 10.2 at the moment.

This is what I ended up doing/needing in no particular order:

1. Apple DevTools must be installed

2. If you use Apple X11 you *need* the X11 SDK package installed which
can only be found on the Apple DevTools cdrom. This was the cause of
lots of fink/x11/openmotif issues until I realized that the X11 SDK had
not been installed.

3. I had to build BerkeleyDB from www.sleepycat.com from source (this is
required for SGE 6.0 but should not be required for SGE 5.3)

4. I used fink to install 'openmotif3' and 'openmotif3-shlibs' - these
seem to be the main requirements necessary to get a working X11 qmon binary

I'm going to document what I did to get SGE 6.0beta2 built on 10.3.3 and
after that I can try to do the same with the latest release of 5.3

-Chris

LeClair, Lorne wrote:

> To: Chris Dagdigian
>
> Hi Chris;
>
> I found the enclosed  thread on your WWW site and I wonder if  you could
> help me out.
>
> I have a cluster of 7 X servers running Panther and SGE.
> The SGE is working fine but I cannot get the qmon proram to run.
> I tried using your binaries but I get the following undefined symbols.
>
> _XpGetContext
> _XpGetOneAttribute
> _XpQueryExtension
> _XpSetImageResolution
> _XpEndJob
> _XpEndPage
> _XpGetDocumentData
> _XpGetPageDimensions
> _XpGetPdmStartParams
> _XpGetScreenOfContext
> _XpSelectInput
> _XpStartPage
>

>  I also tried to compile my own version  using your instructions with no
> luck. Actually I tried only compiling qmon using
> aimk -only-qmon but I get an error on the
> make: ***  [libXltree.dylib]
>

> Do you have any suggestions
>

> Lorne LeClair
>
> IT Manager /Network Administrator
> Department of Biosciences
> University of Alberta.
>
> Office 780 492-4161
> Cell    780 8871508
>
> lorne.leclair@ualberta.ca
>
> [Bioclusters] grid engine sge-5.3p4 builds cleanly for Mac OS x - link to
> binaries for those who need it
> Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
> <mailto:bioclusters%40bioinformatics.org>
> Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:46:50 -0400
> on MacOS X  <001071.html>
> for Mac OS x - link to binaries for those who need it  <001078.html>
> <thread.html> [ subject ] <subject.html> [ author ] <author.html>
>
> This is response to a recent thread about SGE reporting incorrect load
> values for Mac OS X with sge-5.3p2...
>
> After I installed 'openmotif3' and 'openmotif3-shlibs' on my powerbook
> via fink I was able to download the sge-V53p4_TAG-src.tar.gz package
> from the <http://gridengine.sunsource.net> site.
>
> Grid Engine (including the X11 qmon GUI) builds cleanly now from the
> 53p4 snapshot with no additional hacking or patches needed. (yay!). In
> simple tests on my powerbook the output of 'qstat' is correct with
> respect to host architecture and load average data reporting.
>
> The qmon GUI is fine as well when launched under the Apple X11 environment.
>
> The build was so easy that I suspect that most people will just roll
> their own distributions. The instructions are straightforward.
>
> For those who just want the Mac OS X binaries for SGE-5.3p4 I've made
> them available for http download at:
> <http://bioteam.net/MacOSX/gridengine/sge-5.3p4-bin-darwin.tar.gz>
>

> These are just the darwin/ binaries that are to be unpacked inside of
> the SGE_ROOT directory. Users will still need to visit
> <http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/download.html> in
> order to download the "common" and "doc" packages for sge-5.3p4.

Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net