[Bioclusters] GRIDtoday

Dan Bolser bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:35:49 -0000 (GMT)

I guess people on this list already know about this publication, but just in case it
missed you...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: IAN FOSTER ON GLOBUS: WHAT WILL COME
From: Grid Today <grid@gridtoday.com>
Date: Mon, February 2, 2004 1:30 am
To: dmb@mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk

                      GRIDtoday's "Breaking News"
     Log onto GRIDtoday.com at the beginning and the end of your day
 for up to the minute news and information in the Global Grid Community.
                           www.Gridtoday.com

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////////////////////////

                                GRIDtoday

             NEWS AND INFORMATION FOR THE GLOBAL GRID COMMUNITY

                  --- Feb 02, 2004: Vol. 3, No. 05 ---

              All comments regarding content should be sent to:
                         grideditor@gridtoday.com
                -------------------- * --------------------

[ ] 740082 )      HP Collaboration and Competency Network

                      Advanced Technologies to Simplify

                      The Complexity of Grid Solutions

                                IN THIS ISSUE:

[ ] 102590) IAN FOSTER ON GLOBUS: WHAT WILL COME
[ ] 102598) HP FIRST COMMERCIAL MEMBER OF CERN LHC COMPUTING GRID
[ ] 102594) YANKEE GROUP: UTILITY COMPUTING AN UNPRECEDENTED OPPORTUNITY

[ ] 740083 )                 Sun Microsystems

                     More Horsepower to Solve Today's

                      Most Critical Business Problems

SPECIAL FEATURES ===========================================================

[ ] 102590) IAN FOSTER ON GLOBUS: WHAT WILL COME

  One of the co-creators of the Globus Toolkit, Ian Foster from Argonne
National Laboratory, provided one of the keynotes on "Globus and the Grid: State
of the Union" for some 450 attendees at this week's GlobusWORLD 2004 conference.

[ ] 102591) IT SHOPS KEEPING THEIR EYES ON GRID DEVELOPMENT

  IT shops seeking to implement Grid for the first time are taking comfort
in the rise of inexpensive and robust Intel-based hardware and Linux-based
software platforms over the past year.

[ ] 102592) CENIC, PNWGP CREATE FIRST EXTENSIBLE PEERING COLLABORATION

  The implementation of this novel international peering facility, known as
Pacific Wave, creates a new peering paradigm by removing the geographical barriers
of traditional peering facilities.

[ ] 102593) THIS WEEK'S BRIEF ANALYSES OF RECENT GRIDtoday NEWS ITEMS
            By Rolf McClellan

  Following are brief evaluations of recent news stories from GRIDtoday.
Rolf McClellan has nearly 20 years of experience in the network and computer
industry.

[ ] 102594) YANKEE GROUP: UTILITY COMPUTING AN UNPRECEDENTED OPPORTUNITY

  The key to making this alignment happen will be management tools that
provide automation and control of the infrastructure and visibility into the
performance of business services.

[ ] 740073 )                 CALL FOR SPEAKERS

      GRID TODAY 2004 (Gt04) -- the first major conference and exhibition
            to focus on the emerging market for commercial business
         applications of Grid computing, has issued a Call for Speakers

                 We are looking for high-level speakers from
                    commercial organizations to speak on
              applications and implementation of Grid computing

                          http://www.gridtoday.com

SYSTEMS/ENTERPRISE =========================================================

[ ] 102595) CALLIDUS APPOINTS NEW VICE PRESIDENT OF SERVICES, SUPPORT

  In this position Richard Furino will lead the organization in delivering
implementation and integration services for Callidus products, as well as head up
the technical product support and education services to Callidus customers.

[ ] 102596) CUSTOMERS, ISVs FLOCKING TO LINUX ON IBM POWER-BASED SYSTEMS

  IBM's unique 64-bit POWER architecture systems are helping companies
consolidate new Linux and Open Source applications to meet the on-demand computing
needs of today through scalable and robust IBM eServer solutions.

[ ] 740078 )          Intel - Creating a Virtual Worldwide

                         Network of Grid Computing Power

SCIENTIFIC APPLICATIONS ====================================================

[ ] 102597) IBM BLADE SERVERS ACE AT AUSTRALIAN OPEN

  Snap-together blade servers, piloted at last year's U.S. Open, were used
for the first time at this year's Australian Open to run the results system. The
scoring system, owned by IBM, has been supplied to Tennis Australia for the past
12 years on a utility computing basis.

[ ] 102598) HP FIRST COMMERCIAL MEMBER OF CERN LHC COMPUTING GRID

  HP will link computing resources at its HP Labs locations in Palo Alto,
Calif., and Bristol, England, as well as HP Brazil and HP Puerto Rico to CERN's
LHC Computing Grid (LCG) to help manage and analyze the massive quantities of data
expected to be produced by the facility.

[ ] 102599) QUANTIVA LEADS INDUSTRY INTO ERA OF 'ADAPTIVE' ORGANIZATIONS

  QAS's adaptive qualities enable it to become a crucial component of the
industry's leading automated IT initiatives, including adaptive, autonomic,
on-demand and utility computing.

[ ] 102600) TenFold ANNOUNCES LoadBalancing FEATURE

  With LoadBalancing, a TenFold-powered application automatically checks the
load on individual server computers and routes end-users to a server computer that
has available capacity.

BREAKING NEWS =============================================================

SECURITY

[ ] 102601) Aladdin eToken Now Supports Citrix MetaFrame Products

[ ] 102602) ArcSight's Raffael Marty Appointed To MITRE OVAL Board

[ ] 102603) IBM, SUSE LINUX Achieve Higher Level Of Linux Security

PLATFORMS

[ ] 102604) IBM Increases Performance, Memory Capacity For pSeries 655

[ ] 102605) NPU Market Gets Reincarnated -- Intel Market Share Leader

[ ] 102606) SonicWALL Announces New Pro Series Platforms

NETWORKING

[ ] 102607) APCON Signs Three New International Distributors

[ ] 102608) Foundry Expands High Performance Switching Solutions

[ ] 102609) NLR Appoints Montano As Director Of Development & Operations

[ ] 102610) Procket Selected By AARNet For Core Backbone

[ ] 102611) Quick Eagle Networks Rolls Out New 4300 Access Router Series

[ ] 102612) SITA SC, Aventail To Deliver An SSL VPN Managed Service

STORAGE

[ ] 102613) EMC, Oracle Help Customers Manage Inactive Database Records

OPERATING SYSTEMS & MIDDLEWARE

[ ] 102614) Norvergence Standardizes On BEA WebLogic Platform 8.1

[ ] 102615) WMPI II Provides Support For Wide Range Of Linux Platforms

[ ] 102616) Web Services Finally Can Grow Up, Join Workforce

[ ] 102617) NEC Soft Joins OSDL

[ ] 102618) Parasoft Releases SOAPtest 2.5 For Web Services Testing

GENERAL

[ ] 102619) Oracle Simplifies Outsourcing Costs With User-Based Pricing

[ ] 102620) TSANet Announces Three New Members

QUOTE OF THE WEEK ==========================================================

[ ] 102598) "There are few facilities in the modern scientific world with
             the significance of CERN's LHC and fewer still that present such
massive technological challenges."

                 -- Wolfgang von Ruden, Head of IT Department, CERN

JOB BANK ===================================================================
                     This Week's Career Opportunities From:

                             *denotes new listings

[ ] 710) Cardiff University, CCLRC e-Science Centre, First Option, General
Electric, HP, Indiana University (2), Institute for Scientific Research, MCNC,
Osaka UNiversity, Platform (2), Swiss Centre for Scientific Computing, United
Devices (3), University of Southern California (2), University of West England

[ ] 711) Job Bank Rates and Regulations

CONFERENCE CALENDAR ========================================================

GRIDtoday is proud to be affiliated with the following organizations:

                             The Globus Project
                     Developing Fundamental Technologies
                           for Computational Grids
                            http://www.globus.org

                              Global Grid Forum
                     The Leading Edge of Grid Computing
                          for Researchers Worldwide
                          http://www.Gridforum.org

[ ] 700) Conferences & Seminars

GRIDtoday INFORMATION ======================================================

                 [ ] 701) Subscriptions & Removals
                 [ ] 702) About GRIDtoday
                 [ ] 703) Index of Back Issues
                 [ ] 706) FAQ / Contact Information
                 [ ] 707) Submitting Letters and Articles
                 [ ] 709) Advertising Opportunities

   |                                                                     | |
Full background information on all sponsoring companies        | | Firms marked
with an * have updated their info in the last 30 days  | |
                                               | |
                                       | |   [ ] 921) SGI
  [ ] 934) Hewlett-Packard     | |   [ ] 527) Intel                       [ ]
942) Sun Microsystems    | |
                 | |
         | |
 | |      For sponsorship information contact: Gridads@Gridtoday.com     |
|_____________________________________________________________________|

             GRIDtoday welcomes bylined comments for publication.

LAST WEEK'S TOP 5 ARTICLES =================================================

[ ] 102535) ORACLE 10g STUNS IN BETA TEST
[ ] 102531) GRID, WEB SERVICES STANDARDS TO CONVERGE
[ ] 102545) SOFTWARE FUTURE DEPENDS ON INDUSTRY STANDARDS
[ ] 102532) INDIA PLANS GRID FACILITIES FOR BIO-INFORMATICS
[ ] 102533) THIS WEEK'S BRIEF ANALYSES OF RECENT GRIDtoday NEWS ITEMS

                             RETRIEVING ARTICLES

There are 2 ways to retrieve articles:

      (1) Send a blank email to Gridmore@Gridtoday.com . On subject line,
          type number adjacent to article, no message text is necessary.

                                     or

      (2) Insert an x or an X (no other characters, please) within the
          square brackets adjacent to article(s). Return the marked copy to the
address in the Reply-To: line of the GRIDtoday Table of Contents.

RETRIEVAL EXAMPLE, METHOD (1):   To: Gridmore@Gridtoday.com
                                 Subject: 100001  100005  100009

For help, send an email message to Gridhelp@Gridtoday.com and state problem.

GRIDtoday is available on the WWW at http://Gridtoday.com/