[Bioclusters] SGE error when launching a job

dag bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:06:40 -0500

"not allowed" is a very specific error message from Grid Engine

It should mean that the SGE setup has been configured with user-specific
Access Control List (ACL). You will need to check out the config
settings for the following SGE elements:

  -- cluster configuration
  -- queue
  -- host
  -- global host
  -- global configuration

Any one of those elements could have some sort of access restrictions
enabled. Chances are the user ACLs are either attached to a specific SGE
queue or are set in the global configuration. SGE also supports access
restrictions based on groups of users.

Normally I don't recommend the SGE X11 GUI but in this case it is
probably the best for quickly browsing through all the grid engine
config settings. Try running the 'qmon' X11 app and checking out the
various host, queue and cluster configuration settings.

You may try running SGE jobs as some other user also (do not run jobs as
root though; that is specifically disabled within SGE)

There is a great Grid Engine users mailing list where most of the SGE
developers and many hardcore SGE guru's/powerusers are active. Browse on
over to http://gridengine.sunsource.net and look for the "Mailing Lists"
topic. The mailing lists are searchable as well if you don't want to
actually join.

Regards,
Chris
bioteam.net