[Bioclusters] gigabit ethernet performance

Chris Dwan bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:10:11 -0400

Chen,

More than likely, the bottleneck in your data transfer is the speed at
which bits are read from the physical disk in your Xserve.  You can
measure data rates off the disk in a variety of ways.  The one I prefer
is "iostat."  12 to 13 MB/sec sounds almost exactly like a single IDE
drive.

You can improve the speed of a data storage device by striping data
across several drives (in a RAID set), or in a variety of other ways.

Good luck with this.  Data motion is a bottleneck for many of us.

-Chris Dwan
  The BioTeam