[Bioclusters] gigabit ethernet performance

Borries Demeler bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:57:56 -0500 (CDT)

Just another benchmark for gigabit:

In copying from a dual Xeon with dual IDE RAID0 to a quad Xeon with
RAID5 SCSI over gigabit I get 31 MB/sec (this was measured using
the Linux "time" command on a 41 MB file). This is using rcp without
compression/encryption. The filesystem on both ends is reiserfs.  I think
this is pretty typical. Most likely the transfer speed will be greater
when there is no disk overhead involved.

Borries Demeler, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Dept. of Biochemistry, MC 7760
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78229-3901
Voice: 210-567-6592, Fax: 210-567-1136, Email: demeler@biochem.uthscsa.edu