[Bioclusters] gigabit ethernet performance

Borries Demeler bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:57:56 -0500 (CDT)

Just another benchmark for gigabit:

In copying from a dual Xeon with dual IDE RAID0 to a quad Xeon with
RAID5 SCSI over gigabit I get 31 MB/sec (this was measured using
the Linux "time" command on a 41 MB file). This is using rcp without
compression/encryption. The filesystem on both ends is reiserfs.  I think
this is pretty typical. Most likely the transfer speed will be greater
when there is no disk overhead involved.

-Borries
---
Borries Demeler, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Dept. of Biochemistry, MC 7760
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78229-3901
Voice: 210-567-6592, Fax: 210-567-1136, Email: demeler@biochem.uthscsa.edu