[Bioclusters] gigabit ethernet performance

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:43:21 -0400

Hi Chen:

  This is interesting.  Someone once had mentioned to me that the
"blowfish" encryption was the best for performance (e.g. least
expensive), though I have not ascertained whether or not this is true by
rigorous measurement.

  While SCP is secure in that all information is encrypted, it is costly
in that the encryption algorithms are not lightweight.

  If you want to try alternative encryption schemes, try using the

	-c algorithm

on the scp command line.  Note also that this depends strongly upon
whether or not you are using version 2 of the ssh protocol, and how your
OpenSSH has been compiled.

You might get "faster" performance using a "kerberized" rcp, which will
encrypt the login portion but not the data.  You might also look at
rsync and other methods as well, though if security is the primary
concern on the nodes, you probably want to stick with ssh.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC,