[Bioclusters] Metabolomics applications?

Barak Shenhav bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:53:38 +0200

have a look at http://arep.med.harvard.edu/moma/

You might actually get in touch with the authors...

>===== Original Message From bioclusters@bioinformatics.org =====
>Jay:  Well, I read your request with interest.  Something along the lines of
your interest might be a relatively new group of established investigators set
up to study phospholipid metabolism in macrophages,
>http://www.lipidmaps.org
>  The goal is apparently to characterize all lipids in the cell as well as
those generated uniquely as part of its function and then to define/refine the
various metabolic pathways and various interrelationships.
>   From an IT perspective I assume that the data collection i.e. a lot of
LC/MS, will be massive etc and so you have the usual data accumulation
problem.  I understand that the group intends to make all data available for
public access etc so you
>will have the generation of new platforms for presentation and distribution
of data.
>   The metabolome has been sort of skewed towards the DNA/RNA/protein side of
things (see this web site for instance!)and hopefully projects such as this
will level the playing field a bit for the many aspects of metabolism that are
also of
>considerable interest and importance.
>Regards, D. Purdon
>PS.  Beware that everyone seems to be jumping on the "omic" bandwagon these
days. I mean after the genome wars aren't we just getting back to good old
biochemistry and physiology with a new shot in the arm from new perspectives
recently
>generated?
>

>> From: "Jay Owen" <jay.owen@comcast.net>
>> Date: 2004/06/01 Tue PM 07:34:20 CDT
>> To: <bioclusters@bioinformatics.org>
>> Subject: [Bioclusters] Metabolomics applications?
>>
>> I'm doing some initial academic research on tools used for metabolomics
(definitions vary, basically described as the analysis of small-molecule
metabolites present in cells in a particular physiological or developmental
state).  It is
>complementary to proteomics and transcriptomics.
>>
>> I am wondering two things.  First, are there any emerging tools or
applications that are generally associated with this field of biochemistry?
Second, assuming applications exist, are there any implications for the IT
platforms to support these
>applications ?
>>
>> Any pointers to interesting web sites or personal insights would be
appreciated.

>> thanks,
>>
>> Jay

Barak Shenhav