[Bioclusters] How do you setup Sun Grid Engine to start up correctly in OS-X on machine boot?

David Huen bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:55:32 +0100

I have just installed and configured a Sun Grid Engine 5.3 cluster with one
qmaster node and 3 dual G5 nodes.  The installation appears to work

I now want it to start up at boot time without user intervention.  As OS-X
uses its own startup system, I have cobbled together a script and a plist
to perform the startup.  These are listed below:-

# Sun Grid Engine startup

. /etc/rc.common
. /SGE/sge/sge/default/common/settings.sh

StartService ()
        ConsoleMessage "Starting Sun Grid Engine"
        /SGE/sge/sge/default/common/rcsge start
        ConsoleMessage "Sun Grid Engine started"

StopService ()
        /SGE/sge/sge/default/common/rcsge stop

RestartService () { StopService; StartService; }

RunService "$1"
  Description     = "Sun Grid Engine";
  Provides        = ("SGE");
  Requires        = ("Network", "NFS");
  OrderPreference = "Last";

Both the files listed above are in a directory /Library/StartupItems/SGE.

When the above scripts are invoked from the console with:-
/sbin/SystemStarter start SGE

they execute and start up SGE fine.

However, when invoked at boot time by the system, they fail with:-
Mon Jun 14 13:41:53 2004|execd|dyquem|C|can't redirect file descriptor #0

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this?

David Huen