[Bioclusters] Any issues porting applications to OS X?

Tim Cutts bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:29:55 +0000

On 5 Mar 2004, at 17:01, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> I can actually answer Tim's question somewhat although my partner Bill
> knows best -- I've seen him make apple clusters thousands of miles
> away jump through hoops with nothing but a text based ssh connection.
> heh.
>
> When it comes to the real hands-off management that Tim and people
> like his group need (lots of hardware, physically located elsewhere,
> no GUI access desired, etc) this is what I have personally seen:
>
> 1. Anything that can be done via a GUI on OS X can now be done via a
> command-line or via automated scripting. The inclusion of a serial
> port on the rackmount version of Apple's hardware means you can do
> this via a standard getty attached to a cyclades terminal server or
> equiv box.

I know about that.  Which is why I asked how to reboot a crashed
machine remotely.  i.e. a kernel panic, when your serial console and
ssh are both useless.  On all of our farm machines (AlphaServers, RLX
blades, and IBM blades) we can perform a full power cycle remotely to
get out of that situation.  I want  to know whether there's some sort
of similar out-of-band management on the XServe.

> 2. remote power on a dead/crashed apple system is only possible with
> out of band power devices like smart powerstrips from APC or Baytech

Ah, OK, thanks, that's what I was after.   Not possible without third
party kit.
Our IBM blades, in particular, have some nice CLI tools for this sort
of thing.

rpower -a off

is a somewhat abrupt way to stop the cluster in its tracks.  :-)

> The fact is though, regardlesss of Apple vs X68 I'd still probably be
> using a Digicom or Cyclades terminal server as well as a nice network
> addressable powerstrip. This gives me remote console access and remote
> power control (very desirable for most clusters, absolute requirement
> for large systems) without having to rely on any sort of technolgy
> from the server vendor.

That's a fair point.

Tim

--