[Bioclusters] Re: [Biodevelopers] RDBMS and Bioinformatics

Michael Maibaum bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:28:06 +0000

On Mar 15, 2004, at 18:18, Dan Bolser wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Titus Brown wrote:
>
>> -> Hi, I would like to know if RDBMS (Relational Data
>> -> Base Management Systems) is extensively used in
>> -> Bioinformatics Data Bases. If it indeed true, what is
>> -> the most suited RDBMS, Oracle?
>>
>> I believe that NCBI uses SQLserver for some things, and MySQL has
>> been used by several of the public projects (ENSEMBL, for one).
>> I use PostgreSQL because of it's support for an object/relational
>> data model.
>>
>> I don't know of a project using Oracle but there must be some out
>> there.
>
> MSD

another big one is InterPro, and I *think* UniProt and SwissProt but
I'm not certain exactly what each of those use it for.

--
Michael Maibaum
internet: mike@maibaum.org    |    http://mike.maibaum.org