[Bioclusters] Any issues porting applications to OS X?

Malay bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:32:36 -0500

Susan Chacko wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2004, at 8:05 PM, LAI Loong Fong wrote:
>
>> On the topic on low latency interconnects, how many of you are running
>> your
>> clusters with such interconnets? Especially in the area of
>> bioinformatics.
>> We are using quadrics on one IA32 cluster and Myrinet on IA32, IA64
>> and G5.
>> With occasional mpi jobs that uses these interconnects, I do not see
>> other
>> jobs requiring it.

 From what I have seen so far, expensive interconnects are not really
necessary of a large portion of bioinformatics work. Gigabit on copper
is more than enough for most type of work. We use gigabit on copper for
connecting execution nodes to the switch and gigabit on fiber for
connecting NAS to the switch. It saves lots of money and works great.

Malay
mbasu(at)ncbi.nlm.nih.gov