Pull-based job scheduling (was: [Bioclusters] Best ways to ta ckle migration to dedicated cluster/Farm)

Joseph Murray bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 01:20:48 -0800

Hello,

New to the list; my two cents.  One thing that I've ended up stitching
together is a system for managing the download, conversion, management, and
storage of biological-related data sources.  For example, we've all used
bioperl (or it's kin) to grab and parse some NCBI, SwissProt and GFF data
(perhaps even from DAS), only to realize... "To make this system
'effective', I will need to more fully incorporate all the data resources
locally."  Depends on the end-user experience, but sometimes you need to
store GenBank, LocusLink, EnsEMBL, GO, and a slew of other sources locally.
(We use Oracle in-house, so a standard MySQL to Oracle conversion would be
helpful as well!)

Here's where a dedicated system--instead of myriad scripts--would enable
more effective ends to research means.  As far as industry, Lion Bioscience
has created a tool called Prisma that attempts to address this problem, I
believe, but it's not OSS and/nor accessible to enough folks.

I know we've all stitched up systems--programmers are most oft writing the
crucial "glue" tying resources together--but perhaps a "supported system"
would help us all deal with the data wrangling.  There are many efforts to
enable information access, but many are a little too web-service based.
When you have everything from simple FASTA to ASN.1 (and all the XML in
between) to deal with, a common DRM/DBMS-related tool--sufficiently DRM/DBMS
agnostic--would go along way, IMHO.

I've seen requests concerning downloads, parses, database loads--of course
all as cron scripts--on several lists.

Thanks for any input on these issues; apologies if I'm off-topic,
Joe

--
AGY Therapeutics, Inc.
290 Utah Ave