[Bioclusters] NFS performance with multiple clients.

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga humberto at hpcf.upr.edu
Wed Nov 24 08:44:00 EST 2004

I'm bringing up a fairly large cluster (85 dual Xeon 2.4 GHz) for
bioinformatics work at the University of Puerto Rico.

We've only got 12 nodes or so up (AC problems), and our users are
already complaining about lousy disk IO.

I've written up a summary of some tests I've run, I'd like people to
read it and tell me if this performance is adequate for our hardware, of
if we should be looking for problems.

http://plone.hpcf.upr.edu/Members/humberto/Wiki_Folder.2003-07-17.5848/NfsPerformanceTests

Here is a summary of bonnie++ results for 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 simultaneous
bonne runs on the cluster, these are the average of however many bonnie
processes were run simultaneously, results are in KB/sec.

#Procs	   ch-out blk-out	rw	ch-in	blk-in
1	   10285  10574		12116	28753	71982
2	   4296	  4386		954	16965	22997
4	   2336	  2266		412	7870	7913
6	   1098	  602		286	2789	3545
8	   1322	  970		181	2518	2750

The rw (rewrite) results are especially lousy. Even with two bonnie
clients, performance drops precipitously.

Any comments, tips or suggestions?

--
Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga
Programmer-Archaeologist