[Bioclusters] NFS performance with multiple clients.

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Nov 24 15:27:41 EST 2004

Hi Lucas:

  These are some knobs that you can tweak for 2.4 kernels.  For 2.6
kernels, people are still learning, though there are some interesting IO
schedulers you can use.

I found the following works well (about 10% better than default values)
for one of my systems (in /etc/sysctl.conf)

    vm.max-readahead=384
    vm.min-readahead=8

There are lots of other tunables in the kernel.  Just beware that some
of them can break your systems.

Joe