[Bioclusters] NFS performance with multiple clients.

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 04:38:58 EST 2004

On 24 Nov 2004, at 7:56 pm, jason.calvert at pharma.novartis.com wrote:

> You should look at Panasas, It is an appliance approach to a high
> performance filesystem which is similar to luster.  I think Garth,
> (founder of panasas and co-author of the RAID papers) was involved
> with lustre.

It's not *that* similar to lustre.  The way it distributes metadata
service is pretty crude (each directory in the root of the filesystem
is handled by a different node).  So if the files aren't evenly
distributed between top level directories in the filesystem, metadata
performance may not scale that well.

Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
GPG: 1024D/E3134233 FE3D 6C73 BBD6 726A A3F5  860B 3CDD 3F56 E313 4233