[Bioclusters] NFS performance with multiple clients.

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 04:38:58 EST 2004

On 24 Nov 2004, at 7:56 pm, jason.calvert at pharma.novartis.com wrote:

> You should look at Panasas, It is an appliance approach to a high
> performance filesystem which is similar to luster.  I think Garth,
> (founder of panasas and co-author of the RAID papers) was involved
> with lustre.

It's not *that* similar to lustre.  The way it distributes metadata
service is pretty crude (each directory in the root of the filesystem
is handled by a different node).  So if the files aren't evenly
distributed between top level directories in the filesystem, metadata
performance may not scale that well.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute