[Bioclusters] OS X/XGRID versus Linux/MPI

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 20:31:09 EST 2004

Xgrid is a batch scheduler... while MPI is an API for parallel
programming.

You can writing an MPI program, and submit it to XGrid. XGrid will find
the requested number of machines for you, and then start the job.

On the other hand, you can install SGE (GridEngine) on a Linux cluster
-- SGE is more powerful than XGrid -- and let it schedule your serial
or parallel jobs.

SGE:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net

Rayson