[Bioclusters] Xserve G5 memory

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:01:58 -0400

Unless you are using a memory mapped process reading these same files at
the same time, it is likely that they are only showing up in buffer
cache.  OSX probably has a very different cache retention policy as
compared to AIX and Linux.  This is usually a kernel tunable.

Ask your Apple folks about how to tweak the kernel.

Another very important issue is the size of the file as compared to the
size of memory (more specifically buffer cache).  If the file overflows
memory, the mmap mechanism will happily ask the kernel to start paging.
This is "A Bad Thing(tm)".  You want your database index small enough to
hold in memory for good performance.  You don't want them too small, as
you will start to pay some costs associated with increased file activity.

Which database is being used?