[Bioclusters] Xserve G5 memory

James Cuff bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:22:15 -0400

Hrrm - so I wonder if that old HFS+ and the Mach kernel would seem to
the the issue here....  XNU does have a UBC (unified buffer cache),
although I've never really been a fan of Mach...

However, back to reality, I'd check that there really is enough memory
on the xserve for the database to fit, and look at the output of vmstat
for the IBM/Xeon and OSX as you run the tests.

But sorry, to answer your real question, I'm pretty sure the UBC on OSX
is 'tunable', I've just no idea how.  To be honest, the database should
either fit, and the kernel back magic will do the job for you, or it
will not, in which case it will flush it out, and you will see that in
{vm,io}stat

Best,

J.

--
James Cuff, D. Phil.
Group Leader, Applied Production Systems