[Bioclusters] Xserve G5 memory

Al Tucker bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:30:31 -0400

>[I just finished composing this as Joe's post showed up]
>Under most modern operating systems, BLAST databases automatically
>get cached in memory by the OS as they are searched.  The operating
>system typically uses all available memory (unused by currently
>active applications) to cache frequently used data from files on
>disk.
<snip>

>To the best of my knowledge, NCBI's blastall code uses memory-mapped
>I/O whenever possible.

<snip>

>A quick hack to ensure the DB stays in memory would be creating a
>RAMdisk and copy the DB onto it.  I think OS X supports RAMdisks.(?)

I've been following this thread with interest.  I can contribute this
- OS X doesn't have an inbuilt ramdisk option like Os 9 had, but
there are 2 programs I know of (but have not used) that you can make
a ramdisk with:  Disk Velox
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24364> and Ram
Disk Creator <http://www.donelleschi.com/ramdiskcreator/>

- Al