[Bioclusters] Hetergenous clusters?

Tim Cutts bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:53:46 +0100

On 14 Oct 2004, at 11:05 pm, <Daniel.G.Roberts@aventis.com> wrote:

> Anyone out there have a single linux cluster which as both 32bit and
> 64 bit compute nodes within the same cluster.
>  Is this very common?

Not common.  But we do it.  We have a mixed architecture cluster which
currently consists of Tru64 Alphas and 32-bit Linux boxes.  We're about
to add some 64-bit Linux boxes as well.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you have a good reason,
since obviously you're multiplying the number of software stacks you
are maintaining.  In our case, the  Alphas are legacy, and the 64-bit
Linux boxes are aimed at replacing them, and providing machines for
large memory tasks (one of our new Itamium2 boxes has 192 GB of RAM)

Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
GPG: 1024D/E3134233 FE3D 6C73 BBD6 726A A3F5  860B 3CDD 3F56 E313 4233