[Bioclusters] job queueing systems for ibm blade center

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:58:29 -0400

Condor is a different animal.  It places your code into various
environments that you need to link into your code, or into a standard
environment if the code cannot be relinked.

Condor is also less of a "product" and more of a research and
development platform.  There aren't too many commercial entities that
support Condor, while SGE has multiple commercial support options, and
most hardware OEMs support LSF.

Condor does run on windows, linux, unix, and other OSes. SGE runs on
linux and unix, and windows ports may be in the works.  LSF runs on most
platforms.  All will enable you to run MPI jobs, run on a grid
environment (Condor and SGE have Globus integration as open source
options, and Platform has an integrated product suite to enable this).

The run scripts are not interchangeable, and there is a significant
learning curve in transitioning from SGE/LSF to Condor (or vice versa).

Condor is designed more for high throughput computing than classical
supercomputing queuing (the basis for LSF and Codine which was the
predecessor to GridEngine).  It supports some features such as
checkpoint quite nicely (relative to the other environments). It has
support for things like cycle stealing and other interesting bits that
the others do not do.

As an active research platform, there are other interesting active
research tools that surround it.

(shameless plug: we support SGE/LSF currently, and may be supporting
Condor for a customer shortly)

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC,