[Bioclusters] NCBI updates and how you do them

jason.calvert at novartis.com jason.calvert at novartis.com
Sat Apr 30 10:23:08 EDT 2005

We have many databases to distribute so I have written a few scripts to
benchmark different distribution methods, udpcast seems to work best for
us currently.  I have a script that checks the size of each file in the
database directory on each node, and them makes a list of files that need
to be udpcast-ed from the master copy on the distribution node and to
which nodes to cast the file to.  It then starts up a listener on the
appropriate nodes for each file and sends it out.  Since UDP cast is slow
for a smaller number of clients, it also checks to see how many clients
need the file, and if it is smaller than your set break point, it uses NFS
(could be a command line switch to rsync) to distribute the file at the
same time as the udpcast is going on.  There is also a setpoint for the
filesize to decide whether to use udpcast or NFS.

We use filesize as an indicator as it takes 4 hours just to do the
checksum on all our files each night, and this time will be growing with
our databases.  This could be easily made a command line switch to choose
what method to use.   udpcast has different data checking in it's protocol
to cover for UDP.

I have also written a script that uses a treed rsync to distribute the
data, but rsync was using way too much overhead with the size of our
databases, and these will be growing.

I was planning on updating the script to do checksums weekly, but I found
a problem with our kernel I had to solve first.  I will be starting to
develop the scripts again this coming week.

Is anybody interested in such a project?

Well I am out of wind,

Jason

Jan van Haarst <jvhaarst at gmail.com>
Sent by:
bioclusters-bounces+jason.calvert=pharma.novartis.com at bioinformatics.org
04/30/2005 03:55 AM
Please respond to jan; Please respond to "Clustering,  compute farming &
distributed computing in life science informatics"